Liquor Liability / Dram Shop

What is Liquor Liability / Dram Shop?

Liquor liability/ Dram Shop is the area of the law that deals with situations where the seller of alcohol, such as a bar or restaurant, sells alcohol to an intoxicated person and he later causes an injury to someone else as a result of his intoxicated state.

What is the Law in Connecticut on Liquor Liability / Dram Shop Cases?

Connecticut law provides that if a person, either by himself or his agents, sells liquor to an intoxicated person and the intoxicated person thereafter injures someone as a result of his intoxication, the injured person can recover up to $250,000.00 from the seller of the alcohol.

If the accident involves the sale of alcohol to a minor, which is a person under 21 years of age, and the minor subsequently causes harm to himself or another person as a result of his legal intoxication, the victim may be able to pursue a claim for negligent service of alcohol to a minor against the seller of the alcohol, in which case the victim’s damages would not be subject to the $250,000.00 statutory limitation.

If you were the victim of an accident where a minor was provided alcohol at a party or private function, you may be able to pursue a claim for your injuries against the person that hosted the party. This is known as social host liability.

What Should I do if I was the Victim of an Accident Involving an Intoxicated Person?

If you were the victim of an accident involving an intoxicated person, you should contact an experienced attorney right away in order to discuss your rights. In addition to the claim against the intoxicated person, you may also have a claim against the establishment that sold the alcohol to the intoxicated person. Under Connecticut law, you must send written notice to the seller of the alcohol within 60 days from the date of the accident in order to put the seller of the alcohol on notice of your claim. In situations where the victim dies as a result of an intoxicated person’s conduct, the period of time between his death and the appointment of an executor or administrator of his estate will be excluded, except the time so excluded shall not exceed 120 days. In addition, under Connecticut law, you will also need to institute suit against the seller of the alcohol within one year from the date of the accident.

If you would like information on how to pursue with a liquor liability/ Dram Shop lawsuit, please fill out the consultation form or contact us at (203) 250-7212. We will be able to consider your particular situation and help you decide whether to pursue a liquor liability/ Dram Shop lawsuit.

Client Reviews

Attorney Foley spent 8 long years as my lawyer, during that time he was my advocate, my friend, and above all an amazing lawyer. I wanted to write this review because in most cases lawyers are concerned with their payday, but not Michael Foley, though he was able to get me an amazing settlement, he...

Chad Cilfone

Michael Foley is awesome. I have now done three cases with him. He is still working on two. He is so good to my husband and I. We will always use him. We have known him since 2002 he is like family to us.

Liz Boucher

Contact Us

  1. 1 No Fee Unless You Win
  2. 2 Experienced Trial Lawyer With Proven Results
  3. 3 Helping Injured People for Over 37 Years
Fill out the contact form or call us at (888) 881-4018 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message